5) The proviso to sub-section (3) of section 32 provides that where a Member of the Central Board of Excise & Customs is appointed as the Chairman, Vice Chairman or Member of the Settlement Commission, he shall cease to be a member of the Board. As per the amended Customs and Central Excise Settlement Commission (Recruitment and Conditions of Service of Chairman, Vice Chairman and Members) Rules, 2000, Members of the Board are not eligible to be Member of the Settlement Commission. Hence, the proviso is redundant and is being omitted.
6) Section 32B is being amended so as to enable Vice Chairman or Member of the Settlement Commission to officiate as Chairman in the absence of the Chairman of the Settlement Commission. [Clause 95]
7) Sub-section (1A) to section 32E provides that in case of applications made prior to 1st day of June 2007, and where no order under section 32F (1) has been made before said date or applicant has not paid the amount so ordered by the Settlement Commission shall within thirty days from 1st day of June 2007 pay the accepted duty liability failing which his application shall be liable to be rejected. Since the actual operation of the said section provides for the payments to be made within thirty days from 1st day of June 2007, the said sub-section has become redundant and is being omitted.
8) Sub-section (6) of section 32F provides that in respect of the applications filed before 31st day of May, 2007, Settlement Commission shall pass the final order of settlement under sub-section (5) of section 32F latest by 29th February 2008 and in cases filed after 31st day of May, 2007, within nine months. Since all the applications filed before 31st day of May, 2007 shall have been necessarily disposed of by 29th day of 2008, the reference to the said dates have become redundant. Therefore, the said sub-section has been amended so as to omit the phrase “in respect of an application filed on or before the 31st day of May, 2007, later than the 29th day of February, 2008 and in respect of application made on or after the 1st day of June, 2007”.
9) Section 32H provides that Settlement Commission can reopen the completed proceedings in certain conditions. As per the first proviso to the said section no proceedings can be reopened after five years from the date of application, and as per second proviso to the said section Settlement Commission cannot reopen any proceedings in respect of an application made after 1st day of June 2007. Thus, Settlement Commission has no powers to reopen any completed proceedings after expiry of five years from 1st day of June 2007, thus making this section redundant. Therefore, this section is being omitted.
10) Explanation to sub-section (1) of section 32K provides that in respect of the applications filed on or before 31st day of May 2007, Settlement Commission shall decide the applications as if the amendments made in the said section were not in force. Since all the applications filed by 31st day of May, 2007 have necessarily been disposed of by 29th day of February 2008, the said Explanation has become redundant and hence, is being omitted.
11) Section 32O provides the situations in which the person in whose case the order has been passed by the Settlement Commission cannot again approach the Settlement Commission. When the said section was amended in 2007, the said section made distinction in respect of the orders passed prior the commencement of section 122 of the Finance Act, 2007 and after that. In respect of the cases decided after the said commencement, the applicant was barred from making subsequent applications, whereas in the cases decided prior to that he could have made the application if his case was not covered by any of the clauses mentioned in sub-section (1). However vide the amendments made by the Finance Act, 2010, even in cases decided after commencement of section 122 of the Finance Act, 2007 the applicant was allowed to approach Settlement Commission if not hit by any of the clauses to sub-section (1). Thus, clauses (i) and (ii) of sub-section (1) of section 32O are being amended so as to omit the phrase “passed under sub-section (7) of the section 32F, as it stood immediately before the commencement of section 122 of the Finance Act, 2007 (22 of 2007) or sub-section (5) of the section 32F” as the same have become redundant. [Clause 100]